The J&W Murphy Foundation Makes Historic $3,000,000 Gift to Dartmouth General Hospital
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 21, 2023
Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation Launches ‘Lead On’ Campaign with Largest Gift in History. This strategic gift from the J&W Murphy Foundation will fund programming and innovations aimed to reduce patient wait times and improve healthcare outcomes
Dartmouth, NS: The Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation is proud to announce a transformative gift from the J&W Murphy Foundation, as they officially launch their ‘Lead On’ Capital Campaign. The $3 million gift will support four key areas of the campaign: African Nova Scotian Healthcare Bursaries, the Geriatric Care Nurse Practitioner Program, Palliative Care, and the provision of priority equipment and technology.
- The African Nova Scotian Healthcare Bursary Program will fund annually three renewable bursaries to encourage and support African Nova Scotian and Indigenous learners who wish to pursue careers in healthcare, with the goal of building a workforce that is more representative of DGH’s community and the people it serves.
- The Geriatric Care Nurse Practitioner ER Pilot Program will help facilitate care for ER patients aged 75 and older. Nurse Practitioners who are skilled in geriatric care will monitor and expedite care for seniors waiting in the ER by ensuring preliminary diagnostics such as bloodwork, blood pressure, and other key tests are performed while seniors wait.
- Upgraded Palliative Care Unit will better serve patients and families who are experiencing an end-of-life journey at Dartmouth General Hospital. Up to 10 rooms will be retrofitted to meet the unique needs of patients requiring palliative care, including convertible furniture for friends or family members who wish to spend the night, mini-fridges and microwaves for storage and heating of favourite meals, and soft bedding and linens that help create a home-like atmosphere.
- Investment in Medical Equipment – This gift will help support the purchase of Dartmouth General’s first MR, which will help to reduce wait times across the province and will improve efficiencies in care for DGH patients. The MRI will be equipped with a special orthopedic package that will benefit patients undergoing joint replacement surgery at The Fred Smithers Centre for Orthopedic Care at DGH. Other equipment being funded includes the Thulium Laser for Urology and a Surgical Tower for the new Pelvic Health Suite.
- Investment in Dental Surgical Equipment for patients with special needs and patients on the autism spectrum. Much of the equipment being used by Dr. Albert and the O.R. Dental team is over 30 years old and in need of updating. This investment will help serve a historically underserved community, and will is highly anticipated by Dr. Albert and his colleagues.
DGH Foundation President and CEO, Stephen Harding, and Campaign Chair, Al MacPhee – a celebrated Dartmouth business and community leader, hosted the announcement at the Delta Dartmouth today.
DGH Foundation Board Chair, Dan Gibson, and Honorary Campaign Chairs, Joseph and Violet Diab – well-known community leaders and generous philanthropists, also served as hosts to celebrate this historic gift.
“When you meet the team at the Dartmouth General, one of the first things you notice is the wonderful sense of community and collegiality that exists amongst all team members. Everyone works so well together to pursue the shared goal of continued innovation and patient-centred care. I was amazed and impressed to see this teamwork in action when I met Dr. Cheng and her talented and capable colleagues at Dartmouth General Hospital.”
-Lisa Murphy, J&W Murphy Foundation
“One of the things that impressed me the most about Dartmouth General Hospital is the spirit of innovation that is embraced by everyone who works there. It’s incredible to see the hard work and ingenuity displayed by the exceptional staff and physicians who are working diligently every day to drive patient-centred innovation. We are proud to support the work and problem-solving solutions happening at Dartmouth General and are honoured to give to the Lead On campaign.”
– Karen Spaulding, J&W Murphy Foundation
“At Dartmouth General Hospital, we are proud to be at the leading edge of innovations that are improving healthcare for our patients. This collaborative and future-focused work requires the proper resources and investment to create long-term impact. We are grateful to have the support of The J&W Murphy Foundation and our many other supporters, who pave the way for transformational healthcare.”
-Dr. Natalie Cheng, Site Lead, Dartmouth General Hospital
“We are so thankful for this strategic and thoughtful investment from the J&W Murphy Foundation which will have a profound impact in every corner of our hospital. With so many Nova Scotians focused on healthcare resources, the Lead On campaign comes at a critical point in time, where we are coming together to create solutions for improving the health and well-being of our communities. It is exciting to work with donors who want to be a part of the solution.”
– Stephen Harding, President & CEO, Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation
To learn more about the Lead On campaign and its priorities, please visit www.dghfoundation.ca/lead-on
About the Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation
As changemakers, the Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation harnesses the ingenuity, experience and generosity of the community to address the Dartmouth General Hospital’s most pressing healthcare-related needs. Working together, they have made incredible gains. Since their inception in 1975, they have worked with our donors to raise funds for the Dartmouth General Hospital. Because of the tremendous generosity of donors, the Foundation has contributed over $5 million dollars in technology, equipment, infrastructure, renovations, professional development and programs to transform healthcare in the community. They inspire and harness the power of community-based philanthropy to assist Dartmouth General Hospital to drive healthcare innovation for all.
Kiana Pace Tara Wickwire
Manager, Communications and Marketing firstname.lastname@example.org
Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation 902.403.6391